When I’m having a busy period, I always find it difficult to take my time in the mornings to have a nice and healthy breakfast. This banana bread is perfect for one of those weeks where you’d rather stay in bed for a little while longer. I love to start my day with a slice of this bread and a cup of coffee.
The last few weeks I’ve been adjusting the recipe to my liking. The result is a nice and moist loaf that can be used for up to a week. You can, for example, prepare it on Sunday evening and enjoy it for the rest of the week. At least, if you can control yourself and keep your hands off… ;).
Sometimes, when I have a bit more time in the mornings, I like making smoothies for breakfast. If there is nothing left, I often have some granola as a back-up.
Do you have some breakfast tips for me? What do you prefer for breakfast?
Serves 10, takes about 30 minutes (+ 70 minutes oven time)
What you need
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter + some more for greasing the pan
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp baking soda (Dutch readers: bakpoeder)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1½ cups of chopped unsalted nuts (whatever nuts you like, I normally use a mix of walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts)
- Cake pan
- Cups for measure (for Dutch readers: I bought these from the Albert Heijn)
- Mix the flour, oats, and milk in a large bowl. Put the bowl aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC when using a normal oven. When having an electric oven, preheat to 200ºC.
- Mash the butter in a medium size bowl using a fork. Mash the bananas into the butter. Next, add honey, vanilla extract, and eggs and mix well.
- Add the banana-butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir till combined. Then stir in the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Carefully fold in the nuts, but keep some apart.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan. Add the last nuts on top. Bake for 70 minutes until golden brown. Check if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the loaf. It should come out clean. Let the cake cool completely before slicing and serving.
Variation tip: add some almond extract and almond flour to the mixture for a different flavour, or add some raisins if you like them.