The worst-case scenario: what to do when there is nothing left in your cupboard, you’re craving for something sweet, it’s cold outside and you’re in your pyjamas already. You can make a mug cake! Mug cakes are made from simple basic ingredients that you probably always have in stock: butter, eggs, sugar and self-raising flour. You can make them in just a few minutes using a microwave.
The first time I saw mug cakes was on Pinterest, ofcourse. I decided to try one of the recipies and thereafter I was hooked! Mug cakes can come in all types and varieties, for example: chocolate cake, blueberry cake, breakfast cake, coffee cake… and so on. For this first mug cake post I chose to make the ‘Lemon Drizzle & Poppy Seed‘ mug cake.
If you’re looking for a birthday presentent: for one of my friends birthday I made a mug cake package which included a nice mug, the basis ingredients and all different types of other ingredients to make special cakes and toppings.
Lemon Drizzle & Poppy Seed Mug Cake
What you need
- 2 tablespoons of soft butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar (for Dutch readers: kristalsuiker)
- 4 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- pinch of salt
- Your favorite mug (make sure it is microwave-safe first!)
- Place the butter in the mug and microwave it for 10-20 seconds until melted.
- Then add the egg, lemon juice and lemon extract to the mug and beat with the fork until combined. Add the sugar, lower, poppy seeds and salt and beat again until smooth.
- Place the mug in the microwave for 2 minutes @ 600W, 1 minute 45 seconds @ 800W or 1 minute 30 seconds @ 1000W. Remove your mug rom the microwave and aloow it to cool down for one more minute! I know it’s hard :).
Ideas for topping your cake
You can top your mug cake with whatever you like. I chose to top it with some melted chocolate (pure & white) as you can see on the picture. If you have more time left, another idea is making some icing:
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar (for Dutch readers: poedersuiker)
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- pinch of lemon zest
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon extract, if necessary add a drop of water to make the icing thinner.
- Spoon the icing over the cake, then top it with the lemon zest and serve.